Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Special Sunday Afternoon

The glimmer in his eye was unmistakable as he walked through the door. He plopped himself next to me with the enthusiasm of a four year old, although the boy himself is 11. With a bit of coaxing he sang the Apostles' Creed and other songs we learned at camp, his eyes intently following my finger as I traced the words on the paper for him. He listens sporadically as I tell him about David & Goliath - the story peppered with him telling me about his DI, asking about the bus, and wondering if there are any left-over cookies.

Just a few days prior to seeing him again at Sunday School, he visited me at work and sincerely asked, "Why don't you come to Church anymore?" I couldn't help but smile. Since Sunday School started this year, I haven't been able to make it. This young boy and I were special buddies last year; I would help him sound out his words during the lesson and trace his letters during the activity. During Youth Camp we spent an entire week together.

There's a special place in my heart for this youngster...even on days when he tells me he hates me and that he hates coming to Sunday School. Even on days when he's got my arms in a vice-lock his eyes intently boring into mine, telling me he doesn't want to do something. I know he can't help it. I know he's misunderstood by his peers.

On the same token, I like wish there was more I could do to help him, to erase all his pain and take away all his frustration. But then when I think about what I'm desiring, I realize that I can offer this to him.

What greater love than that of our Heavenly Father? What better eraser than that of His Son's precious blood?

 Our greatest battles can't be faced alone. We need God to help face our giants as David did.



1 comment:

  1. :) . I miss Trent. I'm glad you're able to see him and help him out still. You did a great job at Camp!

    ReplyDelete