Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Abstract


Not many people find beauty in the abstract because it doesn’t make sense. Like this photo, for example. Right after I got my new camera I was experimenting with different shutter speeds at night time. This unique photo resulted from a long shutter speed while I was walking down the street in the dark.
I decided not to get rid of this photo because it drew me in. The different patterns and varying depth of light made for an interesting, abstract photo. It is beautiful in its own way, just not what you might expect from a camera like mine.
Just like people. We’re not all the same. God has created each of us a different way. Some of us might be more “abstract” – not what someone else would expect. Others live life in routine, the same thing day in and out. God’s master hand has created us all different so that the “collage of life” you might call it is interesting and diverse. How boring and unoriginal would it be to see a collage slapped together with the same photo in each slot?

3 comments:

  1. I think it takes time to appreciate the abstract, but often it is more gratifying in the end than something more conventional. Applying this to music (as I am wont to do) some of the more conventional songs are immediately likable, but are easily forgotten. The more original tunes that I still love after having listened to them a million times took a longer time to like.

    I have this with Jazz. As in, a lot of it is too abstract for me, but maybe some time in the future I will learn to appreciate it.

    I like the photo :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to following your blog Rebecca. :) And Oliver's too.
    I see this picture and I see people's journeys through life; some walk the straight and narrow, some live in chaos and really never move forward, some spin around a bit and then press on forward. Interesting how we all see the photo through a different set of eyes.
    Keep looking for the beautiful...

    ReplyDelete